Make important legal decisions with confidence.

Handling Post-Divorce Issues In The Gulf Coast

Last updated on June 1, 2021

Before your divorce is finalized, it is best to contest important issues and work toward a favorable settlement. However, you do have legal recourse and can seek a modification if circumstances change afterward. Please contact me at Alpert Law, P.A., in Sarasota, about your need to modify orders in your divorce decree or to compel an ex-spouse to comply with an order.

Modification Of Custody, Support Or Maintenance Orders

My office is a full-service family law practice. I have substantial experience helping clients obtain post-judgment modifications of orders and terms for:

  • Child custody and visitation, including relocating with your children

Many life changes after divorce can impact your fundamental needs. Your children’s needs or your former spouse’s ability to pay may require modification of child support and maintenance orders. Generally speaking, to modify an order, you will need to identify and document an involuntary and substantial change in circumstances, such as:

  • An employment change for either party, such as a job loss or significant promotion
  • The onset of a serious illness or other impairment
  • Other events that substantially change either parties’ financial resources or children’s needs

Relocation And Visitation Changes

Florida has a specific statute covering the relocation of children. Whether you are a “custodial” parent who wants to move with your children or a secondary parent who has received notice from your ex-spouse, it can be critical for you to consult a qualified family law attorney quickly. I know the pressures and uncertainty created by such a major life change make planning very difficult. It is very important for your divorce lawyer to help you think about the future. Often, a parent may regret visitation arrangements accepted under duress and want more time with children than their judgment provides. I can explain your options and the requirements in this situation.

Get Help With All Necessary Legal Processes

Whatever your current needs and circumstances, I can often assess your likelihood of success in obtaining a modification based on our initial consultation. As in divorce itself, it may be possible to reach an agreement with your ex-spouse prior to having the matter formalized in court. Please contact me, attorney Liz Alpert, for caring counsel and able representation by calling 941-584-9501 or by using my online contact form.